Help for English

WHILE/WHEREAS

.............­.............­......... I agree with much of what you say, I do have reservations about some of your claims.

1. while
  2. whereas

Prosím vás, proč je zde správně „while“? Věty mi přijdou, že vyjadřují kontrast a v tom případě by „whereas“ mělo být zaměnitelné s „while“. Je ale pravda, že moc nevidím, že by se používalo „whereas I agree“. Děkuji

While I agree with much of what you say kontrast nevyjadřuje. Jde o větu přípustkovou. Kontrast vyjadřuje následující věta „(but / on the other hand / however) I have reservations about some of your claims“.

„Whereas“ bychom rozuměli v dané vazbě ve smyslu „ale“ nebo „na druhé straně“. „While“ v dané vazbě rozumíme ve smyslu „although“. Na stylistické úrovni působí „whereas“ formálně.

WhiIe I agree with much of what you say, I (do) have reservations about some of your claims = I agree with much of what you say, but I (do) have reservations about some of your claims.

• She likes vanilla ice-cream, while / whereas / but / on the other hand / although her sister prefers chocolate.
  • While / although / whereas / but / on the other hand she likes vanilla ice-cream, her sister prefers chocolate.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.