Help for English

As good as it gets

Vím, že významově je to ve smyslu “nebude to už lepší”, ale jde to nějak gramaticky vysvětlit? Nedaří se mi to pochopit. Níže příklad s dvěma variantami:

*I was expecting there to be more people at this dance party, and I was hoping there would be more nice ladies/gentlemen for me to meet. Is this as good as it WILL get?

Yes kid, this is as good as it gets. Now go, find yourself a lady and have a dance. Make the most of it*

Na idiomech většinou nic moc gramatického nenajdeme. :-)

as good as it gets
used when you are saying that a situation is not going to get any better

copied from Oxford dictionary online

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Klotyl vložený před 11 lety

Vím, že významově je to ve smyslu “nebude to už lepší”, ale jde to nějak gramaticky vysvětlit? Nedaří se mi to pochopit. Níže příklad s dvěma variantami:

*I was expecting there to be more people at this dance party, and I was hoping there would be more nice ladies/gentlemen for me to meet. Is this as good as it WILL get?

Yes kid, this is as good as it gets. Now go, find yourself a lady and have a dance. Make the most of it*

The beauty of the phrase ‘as good as it gets’ is that it is in the present, whilst also acting in the future. It's a great phrase to use.

‘as good as it WILL get’ is not the phrase because it classifies a certain time period.

Lenka: Vlastně to gramatické docela je. Nějakou dobu jsem to rozebíral s rod. mluvčími. Rozepsané by to bylo “as good as it ever gets”, tedy “as good as it can be”. A tam už je zřejmé – tak dobré, jak to může být=nejlepší.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Klotyl vložený před 11 lety

Lenka: Vlastně to gramatické docela je. Nějakou dobu jsem to rozebíral s rod. mluvčími. Rozepsané by to bylo “as good as it ever gets”, tedy “as good as it can be”. A tam už je zřejmé – tak dobré, jak to může být=nejlepší.

Yes, that's about as good a translation as you'll get :-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.