Help for English

HOLD UP vs. SET BACK

Zdravím vospolok,

s frázovými slovesami HOLD UP TTT a SET BACK TTT som sa stretol v mnohých kontextoch, v mnohých významoch už dávno. Nedávno som na nich pri príprave na zápočty narazil znova a od vtedy mi vŕta hlavou, či ich v spoločnom význame “TO DELAY” môžem použiť ako synonymá, alebo či majú svoje špecifické použitie v istých kontextoch.

Vďaka odborníci :-)

Přiznám se, že tyto slovesa moc nepoužívám, nicméně po projití slovníků to vypadá, že hold up je více o zadržení pohybu, bránění v pokračování (dopravy, člověka), kdežto set back je spíše “pozdržet” proces (výzkum, výstavbu)

HOLD UP

Oxford:

• to delay or block the movement or progress of somebody/something

An accident is holding up traffic. / My application was held up by the postal strike.

Cambridge:

• to delay someone or something

Traffic was held up for several hours by the accident.

Macmillan:

• to cause a delay for someone or something, or to make them late

Sorry I'm late, but my train was held up. / She got held up at work.

Longman:

• to delay someone or something

I'm late. I was held up at work.

Merriam-Webster:

• to delay, stop, or slow the movement, progress, or action of (something or someone)

Their decision was held up for months. / A major accident held traffic up for hours. / She was late for the meeting because she got held up in traffic.

SET BACK

Oxford:

• to delay the progress of something/somebody by a particular time

The bad weather set back the building programme by several weeks.

Cambridge:

• to delay an event, process, or person

The opening of the new swimming pool has been set back by a few weeks. / A war would inevitably set back the process of reform.

Macmillan:

• to delay the progress of someone or something

The spending cuts have set the research project back several years.

Merriam-Webster:

• to make the progress of (something or someone) slower or more difficult

A recent lack of funding has set back research on the disease.

Tiež som si to veľmi podobne oddôvodnil, ale nebol som si istý. Franto, díky moc za postreh 8-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.