Help for English

To have it in

Zjistila jsem, že věta “The teacher had it in” znamená něco ve smyslu, že si učitel na někoho zasedl. Co znamená obecně have in?

Je to prostě idiom, “have it in for sb”.

Jinak “have in” ve smyslu pozvat někoho domu, je zas něco jiného, “have sb in”.

Jak píše Klotyl, have it in for someone (stress on “in”), nebo to have got it in for someone:

It's quite a “grown-up” phrase. A child (under the age of about 14) probably wouldn't use it. A child would say “my teacher doesn't like me”.

I think my boss has it in for me (nebo has got it in for me),

• (s)he's always criticising my work,
  • (s)he's always finding fault with my work,
  • (s)he's always finding something wrong with my work,
  • (s)he never compliments me on my work,
  • (s)he always tells me I could have done the job better / quicker / more quickly / more efficiently.

But teachers are still potentially susceptible to other pressures, such as ‘the pushy parent’, and various forms of prejudice or bias. Furthermore, all students must feel, and believe, that they have each been treated fairly, not fearing that ‘the teacher has it in for me ' or that ‘[x] is ‘teacher’s pet’, and so is bound to get a high grade’.

On Sam’s journey to work he steps in a puddle, realizes he has forgotten his watch, and has to rush after his train is late. He thinks “the world has got it in for me ” and feels deflated.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.