Help for English

Verb tenses

Ahoj, vyplňovala jsem cvičení a nevím, jestli jsem jej vyplnila správně. V zadání se píše, že je u některých sloves správně více než jeden čas. Co si myslíte? Děkuji všem předem za odpovědi!

Rats aren't really very popular animals. But now a rat called Fido 1 did (do) something to improve their image. The young rat, who 2 lives (live) in Torquay with the Gumbley family, 3 was lying
(lie) in his cage in the middle of the night when an electric heater 4 started (start) a fire on the ground floor of the house. Fido 5 noticed (notice) that someone 6 had forgotten(forget) to shut his cage door properly, so he 7 jumped (jump) out, 8 ran (run) upstairs and 9 scratched (scratch) at the door of the bedroom where Lisa Gumbley and her two daughters 10 were sleeping
(sleep). Nine-year-old Megan 11 woke (wake) up. When she 12 opened (open) the bedroom door, she 13 saw (see) Fido. As she 14 was carrying (carry) him back down to his cage, she 15 saw (see) the smoke and flames. But the fire 16 only just started (only just / start) – it 17 didn´t burn (not burn) for long. When mum, Megan and three-year-old Shannon 18 got (get) safely out of the house, they 19 called (call) the fire brigade, which soon 20 brought (bring) the fire under control. ‘We 21 owe (owe) our lives to Fido,’ said Lisa. ‘He 22 didn´t run (not run) away. He 23 saved (save) us, and we 24 love (love) him. At the moment 25 he is having (he / have) a special chocolate treat. 26 We have been making (we / make) a fuss of him all day.’ One firefighter said 27 we´ve heard (we / hear) of dogs and cats doing this but never a rat before.'

Very good indeed! Just a couple of errors:

• (1) has done (mluvíme o současnosti – “now”). ** [Some AmE speakers don't use the present perfect in this way, and they would say “did” here – see below.]
  • (16) had only just started (začal dřív, než si ho Megan všimla)
  • (17) hadn't been burning for long (the “burning” was still in progress, and it began before Megan noticed it).

… je u některých sloves správně více než jeden čas …

• (14) “carried” is also ok (ale není líp než “was carrying”)
  • (18) “had got” is also ok (ale není líp než “got”)

** Předpřítomný čas: V britské angličtině se pro nedávnou minulost používá předpřítomný čas. Je to nejčastěji se slovíčky JUST, YET, ALREADY, RECENTLY apod. V americké angličtině tomu tak být nemusí a také často nebývá.V am. angličtině je přijatelná a používaná i varianta s minulým časem (ale i s předpřítomným).

• Br: I've just returned. Am: I just returned.
  • Br: Have you done the dishes yet? Am: Did you do the dishes yet?
  • Br: I've already seen this film. Am: I already saw this movie.

Rozhodně to však neznamená, že se v americké angličtině předpřítomný čas nepoužívá. Používá a často.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.