Help for English

is their Master

There are many benefits (as well as as downsides) associated with the introduction of contigency fees that advocates will experience. It is worth noting that, however, the Client, and not the contigency fee is their Master.

Hi,

I have read the text above, where I noticed that the words ‘Client‘ and ‘Master‘ have been capitalized. Could I ask someone, please, why these words are capitalized? I do know the rules for the use of capitals in English, but in this situation I am obviously a tad confused.

Thank you

The use of the capitals here looks decidedly odd and not necessary. There's no need to „personify“ the words „master“ or „client“ as if they are some kind of deity, and it conveys the effect of a „bookish“ or „philosophical“ style that may have been normal about 150 years ago in English-speaking cultures, although you may still see it in articles as here – a Buddhist treatise:

If you see ten Masters, every Master will tell you to be happy. I will give you the same advice. (srichinmoyli­brary)

Another possibility is that English is not the writer's first language so they are not fully conversant with standard practice in respect of capitalisation.

Hi Dan, thank you so much for your answer. Another explanation might be (I guess) that the text is written in a legalistic register, which sounds very bookish and formal. The thing here is that the writer probably intended to convey the effect of a very formal text, thus making for a legalistic language.

Though making it overly formal by his inappropriate use of capitals.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.