Help for English

bring out the violins

Jaký je význam a nejlepší překlad tohoto idiomu? At your age I had two kids… Oh Dad! I know- bring out the violins. Thanks a lot:)

Context (from ‚Headway‘ p75 here): Emma is discussing her future with her father. Her father suggests she should finish her studies, get a good job, marry her boyfriend John, settle down and start a family. Emma suggests that they might go travelling instead.

Father: Well, Emma, the future’s in your hands! At your age your mum and I had two kids, two full-time jobs, and not a lot of money.

Emma: Oh Dad! I know – bring out the violins. I’m sorry – I know how lucky I am, it’s just …

So she says „bring out the violins“ because it sounds as if her father is whining (= complaining) about how difficult things were for him at Emma's age, and seeking sympathy. The violins would be playing this tune. I believe the tune (‚Hearts and Flowers‘) is recognised in this kind of mock sentimental, maudlin, sympathy-seeking context in the Czech Republic too.

It's not really a grammatical „idiom“, just a well-known phrase which, in an appropriate context, is used to make fun of people who complain about what a hard time they're having – jak to mají těžké. It's an expression that conveys mock sympathy.

See also this comment (in post 12) about „cue the violins!“: It can also be used as an indicator to someone tugging at someone's heart strings with a sad story, where the listening person doesn't actually think it that sad but the teller is looking for sympathy and they don't usually say, „cue the violins“ but begin to play an „air violin“ with an accompanying hummed tune.(WordRefe­rence)

… nejlepší překlad tohoto idiomu …

To nechám na vás – I'll leave that to you!

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 3 dny

Context (from ‚Headway‘ p75 here): Emma is discussing her future with her father. Her father suggests she should finish her studies, get a good job, marry her boyfriend John, settle down and start a family. Emma suggests that they might go travelling instead.

Father: Well, Emma, the future’s in your hands! At your age your mum and I had two kids, two full-time jobs, and not a lot of money.

Emma: Oh Dad! I know – bring out the violins. I’m sorry – I know how lucky I am, it’s just …

So she says „bring out the violins“ because it sounds as if her father is whining (= complaining) about how difficult things were for him at Emma's age, and seeking sympathy. The violins would be playing this tune. I believe the tune (‚Hearts and Flowers‘) is recognised in this kind of mock sentimental, maudlin, sympathy-seeking context in the Czech Republic too.

It's not really a grammatical „idiom“, just a well-known phrase which, in an appropriate context, is used to make fun of people who complain about what a hard time they're having – jak to mají těžké. It's an expression that conveys mock sympathy.

See also this comment (in post 12) about „cue the violins!“: It can also be used as an indicator to someone tugging at someone's heart strings with a sad story, where the listening person doesn't actually think it that sad but the teller is looking for sympathy and they don't usually say, „cue the violins“ but begin to play an „air violin“ with an accompanying hummed tune.(WordRefe­rence)

… nejlepší překlad tohoto idiomu …

To nechám na vás – I'll leave that to you!

Thanks a million:)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.