Help for English

Like to spend

Přeji hezký den všem 😊, je prosím nějaký rozdíl mezi větami:

1. Where do you most like to spend the summer?
  2. Where do you most like spending the summer?

Pokud ano, jaký je prosím překlad první věty?

No, there's no difference between those two (out-of-context) sentences.

However, in some contexts it's possible to tease out a preference for using the + Inf or + ing form depending on the intended emphasis. There's a good article about it here (‚Like to or Like ing?‘ englishcoachon­line).

In the final analysis, however, it doesn't really matter which version you use because there's usually no risk of the meaning being misunderstood, and even if the „wrong“ version is used, the intended meaning would be clear from the context.

• I like being helpful [nuance: I get a feeling of satisfaction when I'm being helpful].
  • I like to be helpful [nuance: I try to take every opportunity to be helpful].
  • Where do you most like to spend the summer? [nuance: when you get the opportunity to do so, or when you have the choice?]
  • Where do you most like spending the summer? [nuance: where is the place that you feel happiest in when you go there in summer?]

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.