Help for English

Let's share phrases, idioms, collocations we have come across ...

cut corners – If people try to do something as cheaply or as quickly as possible, often sacrificing quality, they are cutting corners.

There's no worse job to have than to cut corners in food.

pull one's weight – do one's share in a common task; “Bob has never pulled his weight, and we all have to work harder to make up for his laziness”

I beg to differ/disagree – a polite way of saying that you disagree with something that someone has said

not a/one jot – not at all

A: Hardly recognized the child in you. Apart from the length of your skirt.
B: Whereas you haven't changed one jot.

Hair of the dog – Chlup psa, nebo také “Vyhánění čerta ďáblem”. Fráze používaná pro označení konzumace alkoholu na zahnání kocoviny. Wikipedie.

Hit the skids – to decline; to decrease in value or status.

throw a fit – get very angry and fly into a rage.

hold one's own – to do as well as anyone else.

set someone straight – to make certain that someone understands something exactly.

get in the way (of something) – to prevent something from happening

At the double (BrE) / On the double (AmE) – quickly, hurrying (informal)

I'll be there on the double.

be in dire straits – to be in a difficult situation, usually because of lack of money TTT

The economy is in dire straits.
____
Src

come under fire – be criticized TTT

Yahoo! and several other tech companies came under fire in the U.S. in 2006 for providing the Chinese authorities with information about their users.
____
Src

Take it away TTT

A:I'm gonna sing X by Y.
B:Ok. Take it away.

give sb a piggyback – a ride on somebody's back, while he or she is walking TTT

Give me a piggyback, Daddy!

Src: Oxford

draw the short straw – to be chosen to perform an upleasant task TTT

You drew the short straw and cleaned the tubes.

but – (Australian English, Scottish English) – [INFORMAL] – however, though

I never really liked James Bond films. The last one, Skyfall, was pretty awesome but.

make a pitch for something – to try to persuade people to support you or give you something.

way off base – too far from the truth/too far from reality.

fall off the wagon – to start drinking alcohol again, especially too much alcohol, after a period when you have not drunk any.

You're all right – (British English, slang) used to refuse an offer or invitation, especially one that you think is unreasonable or not very good

Did you want another orange juice? No, you're all right, thanks.

Hm… love this one :-)

Rack off – (AusE, Slang) – go away, f*ck off

it is a piece of cake = it is very simple to do it.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.