Help for English

Does anybody here like old Hollywood movies?

Hi everybody, could you share some good tips for funny 30's or 40' movies? (50's or 60's would do as well)

My latest favourite is The Shop Around the Corner (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033045) – witty dialogues, likeable characters and a plot intelligent enough…names are the funniest thing – although set in Budapest, the movie introduces leading characters as Mr. Kralik and Miss Novak . I'm afraid I fell for James Stewart hopelessly…

Ok, it seems I am the only one (into old movies) here, so I'll just continue with this thread on my own, because some of those flicks are too good to remain unnoticed.

The Philadelphia Story (1941) originated as a succesful Broadway comedy play. The movie has brilliant casting – e.g. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart (of course . The plot – in short, it's all about “class”

I love movies with Audrey Hepburn. I think I might have seen The Shop Around the Corner a few years back. The problem is you need to have peace and quiet for such movies which I rarely do. 

Audrey Hepburn was a beauty…I loved How to Steal a Million and Sabrina

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Geo vložený před 10 lety

Audrey Hepburn was a beauty…I loved How to Steal a Million and Sabrina

That one is great (“How to…”)!! I wonder what those Sabrina and The Shop Around movies are like – should I give it a try? Is it the same fun, you think? 

They are a bit more like “girl stuff” than “How to…”, still funny anyway. My husband liked The Shop Around the Corner – it's no “fluffy pink blond” movie. More interesting for men than the remake (You've Got Mail with Hanks and Ryan) I guess.

They are a bit more like “girl stuff” than “How to…”, still funny anyway. My husband liked The Shop Around the Corner – it's no “fluffy pink blond” movie. More interesting for men than the remake (You've Got Mail with Hanks and Ryan) I guess.

I guess any movie with pretty ladies is interesting for men, isn't it? 

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Franta K. Barták vložený před 10 lety

I guess any movie with pretty ladies is interesting for men, isn't it? 

True enough

Speaking of pretty ladies, Ginger Rogers was marvelous in Vivacious Lady (1938) – such a charming combination of adorable and funny.

Speaking of pretty ladies, Ginger Rogers was marvelous in Vivacious Lady (1938) – such a charming combination of adorable and funny.

If you continue with your tips, I'll spend all my life watching old movies! 

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Franta K. Barták vložený před 10 lety

If you continue with your tips, I'll spend all my life watching old movies! 

What do you think I've been doing for last few weeks? 

Although I am not much of an old Hollywood movies enthusiast, I enjoyed watching Ninotchka (1939) recently. Especially the first half of this comedy is full of jokes and funny dialogues.

Leon: Ninotchka, do you like me a little bit? Ninotchka: Your general appearance is not distasteful.

“How are things in Moscow?” “Very good. The last mass trials were a great success. There are going to be fewer but better Russians.”

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Ondřej Kalista vložený před 10 lety

Although I am not much of an old Hollywood movies enthusiast, I enjoyed watching Ninotchka (1939) recently. Especially the first half of this comedy is full of jokes and funny dialogues.

Leon: Ninotchka, do you like me a little bit? Ninotchka: Your general appearance is not distasteful.

“How are things in Moscow?” “Very good. The last mass trials were a great success. There are going to be fewer but better Russians.”

Sounds great, thanks a lot. Haven't seen anything with Greta Garbo yet.

Do you know who was really cool? The Thin Man. In years 1934–1947, The Thin Man crime story and it's five sequels were made, all featuring William Powell as the ingenious detective Nick Charles and Myrna Loy as Nora, his charming wife. I usually got confused about all those suspects (the plot is usually packed with characters and names hard to discern for me) and the murders themselves weren't too funny, yet I always had a great time with Nick and Nora. Oh and with Asta, of course, their faithful dog .

From The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and adolescent Shirley Temple):

“You remind me of a man” – “What man?” – “The man with power” – “What power?” – “The power of hoodoo” – “Hoodoo?” – “You do” – “Do what?” – “Remind me of a man” – “What man?” – etc…

Play it with a friend and drive him/her crazy

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.