Help for English

League, tournament, championship, cup, match apod.

Jako sportovní lama bych potřebovala vysvětlit rozdíl mezi těmito výrazy, předpokládám, že rozdíl bude hlavně v tom, kterých sportů se to týká – slovníkový význam si samozřejmě najít umím:

league tournament championship cup match competition

… případně vítám i další výrazy.

Děkuji :-)

Zda se to liší sport od sportu, nedokážu říct, ale pokusím se to objasnit, možná někdo bude mít lepší vysvětlení:

league – liga, neboli dlouhodobá soutěž družstev/mužstev mezi kluby (ve fotbale, hokeji, badmintonu šipkách)
tournament – turnaj, jednorázová soutěž jednotlivců (i když se hrají třeba čtyřhry, viz např. v tenise) nebo mužstev (basketbal, fotbal), trvá od jednoho po několik dní
championship – šampionát, v podstatě turnaj té nejvyšší úrovně, někdy s mezinárodní účastí, většinou několikadenní
cup – taky taková liga, ale v tenise
match – jednotlivý zápas
competition – utkání, může být synonymum pro tournament nebo i league

I would say a cup and a league are different in format. Although the Champions League (in football) is a cup competition it has a league format for the first couple of rounds.

League format = teams or players play every other team in the league at least once, usually twice and somethimes three or four times.

A cup competition is a drawn, knockout format where players or teams and randomly matched together and the winner ‘goes through’ (postupuje) and the loser is ‘knocked out’,

Also interesting (maybe!) is that in Czech what you call ‘a set’ in tennis or table tennis etc we call simply a game. What we call a set is a group of games. Taking tennis as an example, a set is won by the person who wins 6 games. In men's tennis you have to win 3 sets to win the match.

Points Games Sets Matches.

Hope that helps :-)

Hi Richard, what makes you think that we call a game a set?

here is what I use:
a game – gem
a set – set
a point – výměna
a match – zápas
a setpoint – setbol
a matchpoint – mečbol
a gamepoint – gembol not 100% sure if you use a gamepoint as well

What I find slightly confusing is the name for the whole match. As we know in AmE they refer to it as a game but in BrE it is simply a match. So if we say: ' He won the game.' Does it mean: Vyhrál ten set or vyhrál ten zápas? That is a bit ambiguous. If we say the whole game then it is clear what we mean.

So if we say: ' He won the game.' Does it mean: Vyhrál ten set or vyhrál ten zápas?

He won the game could mean either that he got (in table tennis) to 11 points before the other person, or it could mean that he won the match and the result was a victory for him

I've heard a number of people say set, when I would say game, particularly regarding table tennis but maybe it's not a natiowide thing. It's also common in BrE to use game in place of match for example, I beat Djokovic in the last round and my next game (match) is against Murray, but if you use the word match it is defintely competitive and will be a game using a scoring system to determine a winner. In football, hockey etc we use the words game and match interchangably but if we wanted to play a game of tennis for fun I would ask you to play a game (which might be many games!) When I was a boy we would go to play football and have ‘a kick around’ meaning we were'nt playing seriously. If we then wanted to play a serious game we would say, ‘let's have a match’. And finally I hope… ‘match’ in this context really just means to bring things together, to pair up/against each other.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Richard Hill vložený před 8 lety

So if we say: ' He won the game.' Does it mean: Vyhrál ten set or vyhrál ten zápas?

He won the game could mean either that he got (in table tennis) to 11 points before the other person, or it could mean that he won the match and the result was a victory for him

I've heard a number of people say set, when I would say game, particularly regarding table tennis but maybe it's not a natiowide thing. It's also common in BrE to use game in place of match for example, I beat Djokovic in the last round and my next game (match) is against Murray, but if you use the word match it is defintely competitive and will be a game using a scoring system to determine a winner. In football, hockey etc we use the words game and match interchangably but if we wanted to play a game of tennis for fun I would ask you to play a game (which might be many games!) When I was a boy we would go to play football and have ‘a kick around’ meaning we were'nt playing seriously. If we then wanted to play a serious game we would say, ‘let's have a match’. And finally I hope… ‘match’ in this context really just means to bring things together, to pair up/against each other.

Sorrry, It was a typo (a confusing one).What I obviously meant was: Vyhrál ten gem nebo vyhrál ten zápas? I hope you got my point.

BTW – reading your explanations about table tennis, I couldn't help thinking that you made a mistake thinking that if it applies to table tennis the same thing applies to tennis as well. Which is not the case here in CR. We do call the fact of reaching the set of 11 points in table tennis a SET but in tennis it is just a game. You chose “ordinary” tennis as an example to clarify things so I couldn't be bothered thinking about table tennis.

As for the match and game – we have two similar words too – zápas, utkání

HI swimmer, I figured it must've been (typo). So, are zápas and utkání interchangable as in English? This would help my Czech! :-)

sometimes these terms (zápas/utkání) are interchangeable, but there are exceptions to the rule…

for example, in table tennis team events you have a match-up (utkání) which consists of several individual matches (zápas), i.e.:

today's match-up: portugal vs. germany

the matches are as follows:

1. freitas vs filus
  2. apolonia vs boll
  3. monteiro vs ovtcharov

also, i have to agree with swimmer in that tennis and table tennis have a slightly different terminology…

Thanks Roman.

I've found an interesting answer regarding match vs game.

https://www.quora.com/…xt-of-sports

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.