Help for English

Recommend

Zdravím, mohla bych se optat, jak je to se slovesem stojícím po tomto slovesu? Zde na internetu jsem našla, že se pojí s gerundiem, v knížce Gramatika anglického jazyka jsem ho zase ve skupině s gerundiem nenašla, ale bylo tam napsáno, že se pojí s předmětem + to – infinitiv. Mohl by mi to prosím někdo objasnit? :) Děkuji

Když navrhujete něco obecně, pak se pojí s gerundiem.
I recommend buying a new car.

Když navrhujete něco nějaké osobě, pak se užívá tato konstrukce:
I recommend that you buy a new car.

Teoreticky lze použít i toto:
He recommended me to buy a new car.

Zde by to ale znamenalo, že mě někdo doporučil jako osobu, která má jít koupit nové auto.

Více ve článku slovesné vzorce.
https://www.helpforenglish.cz/…vesne-vzorce

recommend (that) I recommend that you get some professional advice.
recommend doing something I would never recommend using a sunbed on a regular basis.
recommend somebody to do something Students are recommended to make an appointment with a counsellor. (Longman)

Pořadatelé doporučují přijet vlakem: The organisers recommend coming by train, nebo the organisers recommend that you come by train, nebo the organisers recommend you to come by train.

Doporučuji přijet brzo ráno: I recommend arriving early in the morning, nebo I recommend that you arrive early in the morning, nebo I recommend you to arrive early in the morning.

V americké angličtině se ta třetí vazba (“recommend someone to do something”) často považuje za chybná.

More here. Ngram here.

DesperateDan: I am totally confused by the Longman Dictionary link.

First it says:

recommend somebody to do something
“Students are recommended to make an appointment with a counselor.”

Then a little bit below in the grammar box it says:

Don’t say: I recommend her to speak to a lawyer.

Yes, the “don't say …” comment is in the section which begins “in more formal English”, and I agree with it.

• In more formal English, you recommend that someone do something, using the base form of the verb (=the infinitive without ‘to’): I recommend that she speak to a lawyer. ✗Don’t say: I recommend her to speak to a lawyer. Longman

That's probably part of the reason why, as the Ngram shows, the “recommend someone to do something” construction is the least common of the three. Just as a side note, the original poster asked about “recommend”, but in the sense of “suggest that someone does something”, “advise” is often more idiomatic. [But that's not what the poster asked about, of course ;-) ].

All right then, that makes sense. Although I am still a bit shocked to see that this is actually considered to be correct too, albeit in informal English only. Always thought it was Czenglish.

I personally wouldn't use this construction in the sense of suggesting a course of action anyway, because it does sound a bit iffy (pochybně). But others do, and we can't call it “unacceptable”. In writing I'd use one of the other two constructions, or “advise” or “suggest”, and in conversation I'd use “advise” or “suggest”. As the Ngram shows, up to about 1950, “recommend you to come” had greater frequency than the other two constructions. English is changing quickly. ;-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.