Help for English

__ students of English.... Bez členu alebo určitý člen?

‘Help for English’ is a website for ___ students of English.

Prosím aký tu bude člen a prečo? Ďakujem.

No article: “a website for students of English” is correct. “The” would imply “all the” students of English, or that the students had already been mentioned (“first mention”), or if they have not been specifically mentioned, we are assumed to know which students are meant (“assumed context”), or they are a “defined group” of students of English.

A website for students of English – for any students of English: we don't know who they are, they are not a defined group, there's no previous mention.

Thank you for the explanation.

I thought “the” could be correct. I thought they were a “specific group” of students. (students of English, not students of Spannish or German.....)

But as I can see it doesn´t work that way…I was wrong.....

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od jozefsklenka vložený před 7 lety

Thank you for the explanation.

I thought “the” could be correct. I thought they were a “specific group” of students. (students of English, not students of Spannish or German.....)

But as I can see it doesn´t work that way…I was wrong.....

Bez kontextu použijeme THE pouze u věcí, které jsou natolik jedinečné, že si je posluchač nezamění s ničím jiným (THE sun/ moon/ president / ground…)
Jinak je potřeba skupinu vymezit – jak píše Dan.

Help for English is a website for students of English.
Help for English is a website for THE students of English I teach.

People are quite rich today.
The people in our city are quite rich today.

Mnoho studentů si myslí, že THE použijeme, když my víme, o co se jedná. Ve skutečnosti to musí být jasné jak nám, tak posluchači.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.