Help for English

Význam "would" v příkladu

Ahoj, potřeboval bych zde poradit (X Files) – “Kuřák” vypráví o svých synech, přičemž vše řečené se už stalo, je to jakoby shrnutí. Nejspíše to souvisí s první větou, že se “oba objevují/figurují v budoucnosti více, než asi kdy budou vědět” a domnívám se tedy, že dále jakoby popisuje jejich příběh a “would” používá namísto will, protože už k tomu všemu došlo. Ale rád bych si to potvrdil.

I'm a father to two men who have figured more in the future than they might ever know. Both would end up working for the FBI, both complex but dedicated men who sacrificed dearly, and in their dogged pursuits would end up paying a terrible price, searching for truths as I parceled them out, truths held only by the few who know the levers of power and the invisible hand controlling them.

Hi Klotyl, you're right, it's a “future in the past” where we use “would” or “was/were going to” to refer to the future from the perspective of some point in the past, and we can't use “will” here. Both would end up working … or Both were going to end up working or Both were to end up working… “Would” (in this sense) is translated by a future tense in Czech, in my (native English) opinion.

In 1944 he submitted a memorandum to the great powers (…) proposing to expel about two-thirds of his country's Germans. Those transferred would be entitled to take with them all movable property and receive compensation for the rest. ...... Budou si moci vzít s sebou movitý majetek a za zbytek dostanou kompenzaci. (‘Pražská zima’, Ch. 25, Madeleine Albright, Czech and English versions.)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.