Help for English

back to back/in a row

Dobrý den/Ahoj

Používají se back to back a in a row vždy zaměnitelně? Mají stejný význam? Dle slovníku mi přijde, že ano.....

Děkuji.

Dle kterého slovníku?

Back to back : happening one after another, without interruption

In a row: one after another without a break

back to back

in a row

When back to back refers to events po sobě, it's often interchangeable with in a row. You need to consider each case in its own context. When it refers to a physical position, it's not. For example these chairs and these children are “back to back”, but they're not “in a row”.

Thanks. So in my two examples below it would be possible to use them interchangeably, rig­ht?

• 3 questions in a row/back to back.
  • 2 lessons in a row/back to back.

Hmm, “three questions back to back” gets 21 (real) hits on Google, “three questions in a row” gets 290. “Back to back” sounds (to me) as if it's used more in AE, or a bit slangy, or belongs to business or sports jargon. Google these phrases and you'll see the kind of context and collocations in which they're used. I would much prefer “3 consecutive questions” or “2 consecutive lessons/classes” (or “3/2 XYZ in a row”).

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.