Help for English

I am getting/will get

Dobrý den,

narazila jsem na dvě věty, které mi nedávají moc smysl, mohl by mi prosím někdo pomoci?

1. I promise that I … to work on time every morning.
  2. I promise that I … to work on time every morning in future.

Měl by být u obou vět průběhový čas “am getting”? U 2. věty jsem to tak našla ve výsledcích ale nejsem si jistá, jestli to platí i u 1. věty. Jelikož bych tam klidně dala “will get”, jakožto slib v budoucnosti.

Děkuji moc za jakoukoliv pomoc.

No results found for “promise that I am getting to work”

Vazba I am doing sth s významem do budoucna se používá když mám něco naplánované, např. I'm going to Prague next week.

Promise that I am doing something s budoucím významem není možné. Citíme časový střet. Promise je slib do budoucna, am VERBing je v průběhu právě ted'.

• I promise (that) I will get am getting to work on time every morning.
  • I promise (that) I will get am getting to work on time every morning in future.

The construction with promise, when the subject is the same, is promise to do something. No-one says I promise that I will do something :-( , although it's not incorrect. See the Ngram.

The construction with promise, when the subjects are different, is promise (that) someone else will do something:

• I promise (that) my daughter will get to school on time every morning.
  • I promise (that) my daughter is getting to school on time every morning.
  • I promise (that) my daughter will get to school on time every morning in future.
  • I promise (that) my daughter is getting to school on time every morning in future.

The addition of “in future” has no effect on the meaning or choice of verb form.

The construction with promise, when the subject is the same, is promise to do something. No-one says I promise that I will do something :-( , although it's not incorrect. See the Ngram.

I think I've heard this construction at least a million times.

I promise I'll never do it again.
I promise I won't let you down.
I promise I won't tell anyone.

Yes, I accept that you will hear “I promise (that) I will …”. This may be for several reasons:

• (i) the speaker's native language isn't English;
  • (ii) the syntax of the speaker's native language doesn't allow I promise to + inf, it only allows promise that … (or some other construction);
  • (iii) the extent to which the speaker feels “will” is a simple expression of futurity or a modal expression of willingness

Will jako prostředek modality dispoziční vyjadřuje různé odstíny volní dispozice k ději … ( emsa 8.44.71 )

• (iv) the extent (if any) to which the context is stylistically or emotionally marked: in negative statements (like the three you quoted) the speaker may feel the need to emphasise the unwillingness by saying I promise I won't instead of I promise not to. In simple (stylistically unmarked) declarative affirmative statements, the speaker may feel the sense of willingness is already conveyed by “promise” and doesn't need to be reinforced by using “will”.

Note also the comments at the end here, suggesting that the version with “will” might be stylistically marked:

1. I promise to ring you later.
  2. I promise that I will ring you later.

They both mean the same thing. I would nearly always use “I promise to ring you later” simply because it's quicker to say. I suppose there might be a very slight difference in that “I promise to ring you later” just means that the person will ring later, but “I promise that I will ring you later” could suggest that they may have forgotten/not called before when they said they would but this time they are promising they will call. However, they do mean the same thing but in some contexts of the 2nd option, there may be a hidden suggestion that they didn't call before.

The Ngram doesn't, of course, tell us everything, but it does tell us something.

So there's often a potential problem when we're analysing a single sentence out of context because we don't have any clear sense of what stylistic marking there may be in context. In an exercise featuring the out-of-context affirmative declarative statement “I promise ---- get to work on time every morning (in future)”, I would definitely recommend “I promise to get to work …” though, as I said, “I promise that I will get to work …” isn't incorrect.

Postscript: out of the mouths of babes and sucklings [ … z úst kojenců a nemluvňat]: here, a cute little girl promises that she won't eat animals! – it's a strong expression of her will. If we said she promises not to eat animals, it would sound too weak.

So it really depends on the context. The first example I thought of was a kid crying “I promise I'll never do it again” to avoid being punished for something and similar context. Here, in contrast, “I promise to …” would sound odd. What you said about the emotionally marked context totally makes sense. Of course, for general/neutral promises (like New Year's resolutions) the version with “to” is much better. :) You had me worried I was using it wrong!

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.