Help for English

Házet klacky pod nohy

Jak byste anglicky vyjádřili, že se Vám někdo schválně snaží házet klacky pod nohy?

V Lingee jsem našel:
try to trip sb up
put the skids under sb/sth
put obstacles in sb's way

Ale asi jen to 3. bych řekl, že se hodí pro záměrné/zlomyslné “házení klacků pod nohy”.

Znáte něco lepšího?

backstabbing / stabbing sb in the back

shoot in the foot

Put a spoke in someone's wheel. The dictionaries tend to describe this idiom as British, but I've found several examples of its use in AmE publications, e.g.:

People are trying to put a spoke in your wheel, Capricorn, so be on your guard. Not everyone has your best intentions at heart. (us.blastingnew­s.com); They are also indispensable for sports activities such as trekking, so that the rain doesn't put a spoke in your wheel and you continue to enjoy outdoor adventures even on days that aren't really inviting. (y-o.w.com); “I need you to help me, Manda. There's a lunatic who wants to hurt me, and I need you to help me put a spoke in his wheel. I need you to help me now!” (bookscool.com)

Also put/throw a spanner in the works:

Nechci sám sobě házet klacky pod nohy a zbytečně si ubírat výkonnost … I don't want to put a spoke in my own wheel // throw a spanner in the works // make things difficult for myself and pointlessly undermine my own performance

Nechceme eurozóně házet klacky pod nohy, bankovní unii ale odmítneme. We don't want to throw a spanner in the Eurozone works // put a spoke in the Eurozone wheel // make things difficult for the Eurozone, but …

Also: make things/it/life difficult for someone:

„Lidi v duhových rodinách – stejně jako v těch klasických – chtějí, aby děti byly zajištěné. Jsou vlastně budoucnost našeho státu, tak proč jim házet klacky pod nohy ? People in rainbow families – just like those in conventional ones – want their children (to be) provided for. They are actually the future of our country, so why make things/it difficult for them?

Děkuji moc za pomoc + příklady :)

Což mne okamžitě připomnělo spíš v AmE obrat, který uvádí Dan ve variantě se spanner: throw a monkey range in the works

Cambridge třeba uvádí:
The funding for the project was withdrawn so that really threw a monkey wrench in the works.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.