Help for English

until their change of mind...

Zdravím :)

Je možné použít všechny z těchto možností? Je nějaká horší nebo ne? :) Díky moc :)

• If the methods mentioned above weren't enough, further steps would be enforced. One for all, deals of those companies would be temporarily interrupted until their change of mind.
  • If the methods mentioned above weren't enough, further steps would be enforced. One for all, deals of those companies would be temporarily interrupted until they change their mind.
  • If the methods mentioned above weren't enough, further steps would be enforced. One for all, deals of those companies would be temporarily interrupted until change of their mind.

1. until their change of mind :-( :-( . “Their change of mind” sounds odd here, a native speaker wouldn't say it. The problem in this context is the use of the abstract noun (“their change”) in English to describe an action (rather than a state or phenomenon). Fine in Czech, but clumsy/unnatural in English.

[For advanced-level students: “their” is also problematic here in this collocation. The possessive adjectives (my, your, his, her, our, their) tend to imply a definite article (or determiner) sense, as if the change of mind is definite, known about or already exists, but in fact the context tells us that the change of mind doesn't yet (and may never) exist, because they might not change their mind at all. So the change of mind in this context doesn't carry the notion of definiteness, and the use of “their” feels like a conflict of logic.]

2. … something would happen until they change their mind :-(. Not recommended; this seems to be a reported speech scenario, so:

• (Direct speech:) “something will happen until they change their mind.”
  • (Reported speech:) [they proposed that] something would happen until they changed their mind.

3. … until change of their mind

[(i) I don't understand “one for all” here. (ii) “Interrupted” doesn't collocate well with “deals” here. I suspect you need “suspended”. (iii) Out of context, the overall sense of these two sentences isn't clear.]

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.