Help for English

Hodil mi do toho vidle :-) (překlad)

Jaký ekvivalent má rčení hodit někomu někam vidle? – když vám někdo šlápne do hraček, rozháže pastelky :-)

• prostě vám zbourá nějakou vaši víru, systém

Přijde mi, že to trow a spanner in the works se sem nehodí. To, že někomu hodíte vidle do nějakého přesvědčení není nutně negativní, člověk může být rád, že mu někdo osvětlil situaci, byť mu tak zboural iluze.

Hodit někomu někam vidle znám jenom v negativním smyslu, ale podle přesného kontextu by se mohly v pozitivním smyslu hodit snad:

• to play the Joker (žolík)
  • to pull a rabbit out of the hat
  • to come up with a game-changer
  • to put a different complexion on things
  • to help someone see the light of day
  • to take the blinkers [klapky] off someone's eyes
  • to make someone think outside the box
  • to turn the tables
  • to turn the situation on its head

Perhaps also:

Last spring President Roosevelt waved his magic wand over the Tennessee Valley and decreed that more electricity should be made than could be used. (‘Time’, 1934)

Není to málo, pane doktore? ;-)

Krásné :-) takových výrazů co bych mohla znát :-) myslím, že ‘mého’ kontextu by se nejvíc hodilo to turn the situation on its head

A když bychom na to koukali v tom negativním úhlu?

Něco ve smyslu tedy, Ten zážitek / seminář / nehoda / to zjištění mi hodilo vidle do mých přesvědčení / do mého způsobu života.

Zase asi hodně variabilní, že? :-D

Možno by mohlo byť :

vziať niekomu ilúziu o čom

otvoriť komu oči

Some of the expressions in my previous post are not inherently positive or negative. They denote a change to the status quo. The positive or negative nature of the change would become clear from the context. Therefore some of them could be used in a negative context too.

• The experience opened a can of worms in terms/respect of my convictions.
  • The experience upset the apple cart in terms/respect of the way I led my life.
  • The experience set the cat among the pigeons in terms/respect of my convictions.
  • The experience set the cat among the pigeons in terms/respect of the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar put a different complexion on my convictions.
  • The experience/se­minar put a different complexion on the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar called my convictions into question.
  • The experience called into question the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar made me think outside the box in terms of my convictions / the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar prompted a radical re-think of my convictions / the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar made me take a fresh look at my convictions / the way I led my life, etc.
  • The experience/se­minar was a game-changer in terms/respect of my convictions / the way I led my life.

Also, as AdrianaXXX suggested:

• The experience/se­minar shattered my illusions in terms/respect of my convictions / the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar opened my eyes in terms/respect of my convictions / the way I led my life.
  • The experience/se­minar was a real eye-opener in terms/respect of my convictions / the way I led my life.

Napadlo ma ešte:

to turn the world/the life upside down

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.