Help for English

THINK + noun

Dobrý den, chtěla bych poprosit o radu, zda jsou správně tyto věty (jedná se o diskuzi): Which lab exercise are we going to perform first tomorrow? a odpověď: I think the study of the thermal properties. Může být odpověď pouze I think + noun? Předem velice děkuji za odpověď.

The sentence is ok in response to the question asked. The questioner asks the responder to give his or her opinion or make a choice, and the responder indicates his opinion or choice by using the words “I think”, which function syntactically here in parenthesis and could have, but don't necessarily need, a comma after them, so “I think(,) the study of thermal properties.” Rozumíme nikoliv I think + noun, ale I think (we're going to perform) the study of … Je to svým způsobem taková “ostřihaná” věta – a “clipped” sentence.

See Hovorové “ostříhané” věty (Ellipsis 1).

More examples:

1. A: What flavour ice cream do you want? B: I think(,) vanilla.
  2. A: What do you fancy for lunch? B:| I think(,) salad.
  3. A: I want to get Lucy a CD for her birthday. What sort of music should I get? B: I think(,) opera. She's a real opera buff. [Význam buff2]

Dobrý den, moc děkuji za jasné vysvětlení. Thanks a lot!

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.