Help for English

připravit někomu něco k jídlu

Udělala jim k obědu smažený sýr s hranolkami.

She prepared them fried cheese with chips for lunch.
She prepared them for lunch fried cheese with chips.

Co je prosím z hlediska slovosledu správně? Nějak si nejsem jistý.

Díky.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Josef vložený před rokem

Udělala jim k obědu smažený sýr s hranolkami.

She prepared them fried cheese with chips for lunch.
She prepared them for lunch fried cheese with chips.

Co je prosím z hlediska slovosledu správně? Nějak si nejsem jistý.

Díky.

She prepared them … = Udělala jim k obědu …

She prepared them for lunch … Připravila je na oběd.

„Prepare“ is usually not a good equivalent when „připravit“ means „vařit“/„kuchtit“, With „preparing lunch“, the sense is likely to be peeling the potatoes, washing the veg, tenderising the meat, etc., in other words what happens before the cooking process. See the Ngram.

Udělala jim k obědu smažený sýr s hranolkami:

• She made them fried cheese and chips for lunch.
  • She cooked them fried cheese and chips for lunch.
  • She did them fried cheese and chips for lunch.
  • She prepared them fried cheese and chips for lunch. ☹️ (it's unlikely that a native speaker would use „prepared“ here. It sounds „foreign“.)

BrE „chips“ = AmE „fries“.

Btw – Dan., I guess that it is gramatically correct because you used it but „prepared them“ sounds so bad to me… I mean gramatically… I would say „prepared fried cheese for them“ or something like that........ Am I at least a little bit right? Like…it's not common or something?.....:) Thanks a lot

Yes, you make a fair point. I don't like the use of „prepared“ here when it means „cooked“/„made“, but you will certainly find examples of „prepare someone something“ in the sense of „prepare something for someone“, which, as you note, would normally be preferable stylistically.

We can prepare your meal, make sure your dishes are all washed and put away. We can also prepare you a snack for later.. (homeservices­ne.co.uk); I arrive at your home and prepare you a meal of your choice.(simply­beale.com)

The problem (with prepare someone something) seems to relate specifically to the verb „prepare“, because if we change the verb to „make“, it's absolutely normal (and no-one would object) to say *shall I make you a sandwich?„, "she made me a cup of tea“, „I made myself some scrambled egg(s)“ etc.

Thanks a lot!

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.