Help for English

Facilitation of cultural exchange

Dobrý den,
dnes jsem se na Linkedinu setkal s následující větou: ‘I assist with facilitation of cultural exchange‘. Je to správně gramaticky, anebo by tam měl být člen ‘the‘ před slovem ‘facilitation‘?
Děkuji,
Armando

[I've tweaked this post to (try to) make it a bit clearer.]

It's grammatically correct but sounds rather pompous, and is probably a translation from another language. I suspect that the writer may not be a native English speaker, because there are much more idiomatic ways of saying this, e.g.,

• I help (to) organise cultural exchange(s).
  • I'm involved in organising cultural exchange(s).
  • I help (to) coordinate cultural exchange(s).
  • I'm involved in coordinating cultural exchange(s).
  • I'm part of a team that promotes / encourages / looks for opportunities for / provides support for / does the administrative back-up for cultural exchange(s).

… depending, of course, on exactly what the person's role is.
„Facilitation“ (like „exchange“) can be used in an abstract sense (so it wouldn't need an article here) or in a defined sense „the facilitation of something“, when an article would be used). The Ngram shows that both uses (with the article, and without it) are common.

But there's another complication here, and it's about style. The style here may be a kind of „short notes“ style often used in lists, CVs etc (instead of „full prose“ style). In „short notes“ style, we focus on the essential words and don't worry about the grammatical niceties required in „full prose“ style if our meaning is clear enough without articles, proper use of tenses or verb forms, unnecessary pronouns, etc.

So the short answer is: don't expect to find impeccable grammar in a curriculum vitae-type listing on the internet. Jinak řečeno jde tady o angličtinu čistě funkční a ne o jazykově dokonalou beletrii. ☹️

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Armando vložený před 10 měsíci

Dobrý den,
dnes jsem se na Linkedinu setkal s následující větou: ‘I assist with facilitation of cultural exchange‘. Je to správně gramaticky, anebo by tam měl být člen ‘the‘ před slovem ‘facilitation‘?
Děkuji,
Armando

Buďte rád, že jste se setkal jen s takovouto větu. Některé Linkein profily nejdou kvůli Czenglish vůbec rozluštit. 😮

Dobrý den, děkuji moc. Nevím, jak vymyslel tu větu – autor je rodilý mluvčí lotyšského jazyka. Armando

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.