Help for English

We ask that you submit

Hi everyone, Recently I have received an e-mail, from my bank, where there is written the following sentence: ‘‘We ask that you submit a file with the aforementioned information.‘‘ Can I ask if ‘‘We are asking‘‘, with the continous tense, would be correct as well or not? Thank you

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Armando vložený před měsícem

Hi everyone, Recently I have received an e-mail, from my bank, where there is written the following sentence: ‘‘We ask that you submit a file with the aforementioned information.‘‘ Can I ask if ‘‘We are asking‘‘, with the continous tense, would be correct as well or not? Thank you

So: ‘‘We are asking that you submit a file with the aforementioned information‘‘.

In a simple declarative sentence, the simple present is the standard tense. The continuous form is used (among other reasons) to focus on an action that is in progress at the time of speaking/writing, so it wouldn't be used in the context you describe. It would sound out of place.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Armando vložený před měsícem

Hi, thank you, Franta and Dan, so much – you've helped me a lot. 🙂

Hi, can I ask you why is there used a present continous, not simple, in the following sentence:

With more and more focus on digital delivery of offers and information, the market is undergoing major changes these years

When something happens regularly, we use the present simple form. Therefore, I assumed it should go (the rule) to the sentence above.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Because the focus is on the fact that the major changes are in progress, are taking place (as a continuous process) within the specified time frame. The changes are seen as an unbroken process of events, not as separate events that happen regularly.

„These years“ (out of context and in the wording of the sentence as given) sounds odd, and I doubt that the sentence was written by an English native speaker. Present perfect would be the natural choice here:

With more and more focus on digital delivery of offers and information, the market

• has been undergoing / has undergone

major changes

• in recent years / in the last few years / these years.

Thank you so much – I guess it was written by a non-native speaker, as it was a foreign website. 🙂

Hi, I have seen a sign today that was saying ‘By entering the school, your are agreeing with the rules of our school‘. Shouldn't it be in the present simple ‘By entering the school, you agree with the rules of the school‘. Thank you

It can be either. „You are agreeing“ puts the focus on the fact that your agreement is happening at the same time as you are entering the school so, arguably, the message to the person as (s)he enters is more immediate, more direct, more „in the here and now“ – o to aktuálnější.

Thank you, Dan. English tenses sometimes do surprise one. ;)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.