Help for English

Zhodný podmet v súvetí s participiom

Many people drive to and from work and sit in an office all day, leaving them lacking in time, energy and motivation to exercise.

V prvej vete je podmetom : many people

V druhej vete je podmetom : it (?)

Je to možné/správne ?

Druhá část je participle clause, což je věta bez předmětu.
Některé gramatické autority dokonce takovou část souvětí označují jen jako participle phrase a nepovažují ji za větu.
Ať tak či tak, má tato část věty vždy stejný podmět jako věta hlavní.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Franta K. Barták vložený před 8 dny

Druhá část je participle clause, což je věta bez předmětu.
Některé gramatické autority dokonce takovou část souvětí označují jen jako participle phrase a nepovažují ji za větu.
Ať tak či tak, má tato část věty vždy stejný podmět jako věta hlavní.

Áno, ale tieto vety nemajú zhodný podmet. (Vy Franto hovoríte o predmete).

Zaujíma ma, či tá veta je OK alebo nie je.

Many people drive to and from work and sit in an office all day, leaving them lacking in time, energy and motivation to exercise. (…) Zaujíma ma, či tá veta je OK alebo nie je.

When I read the sentence you're querying, I didn't bat an eyelid because the meaning is absolutely clear. But in theory, you are right: we seem to be talking about a dangling modifier (in this case, a participial clause) here because „leaving“ appears to have no subject, and therefore doesn't conform to the „rule“ that is taught by most teachers for the purpose of passing an exam. However, the meaning is clear, so the fact that we can't identify a grammatical subject for „leaving“ is neither here nor there.

In a classroom situation, do what the „rules“ say in order to pass the exam. In the real world, the sentence is fine: there's no problem understanding it, and we don't „look for“ a grammatical subject: the subject is implied, it's understood.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od AdrianaXXX vložený před 8 dny

Áno, ale tieto vety nemajú zhodný podmet. (Vy Franto hovoríte o predmete).

Zaujíma ma, či tá veta je OK alebo nie je.

Nepřečetl jsem si to pořádně, omlouvám se. 😮

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 8 dny

Many people drive to and from work and sit in an office all day, leaving them lacking in time, energy and motivation to exercise. (…) Zaujíma ma, či tá veta je OK alebo nie je.

When I read the sentence you're querying, I didn't bat an eyelid because the meaning is absolutely clear. But in theory, you are right: we seem to be talking about a dangling modifier (in this case, a participial clause) here because „leaving“ appears to have no subject, and therefore doesn't conform to the „rule“ that is taught by most teachers for the purpose of passing an exam. However, the meaning is clear, so the fact that we can't identify a grammatical subject for „leaving“ is neither here nor there.

In a classroom situation, do what the „rules“ say in order to pass the exam. In the real world, the sentence is fine: there's no problem understanding it, and we don't „look for“ a grammatical subject: the subject is implied, it's understood.

The sentence is from a model answer for IELTS, there must not be sentences with any ambiguity.

But now, I know, it is something beyond the rigid grammar.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.