Help for English

Let's share phrases, idioms, collocations we have come across ...

tee off – jako sundat si tričko=vykasat si rukávy?

give sth a whirl

Your car has broken down. You call someone to come and fix it. When they are done fixing your car, they might say „You wanna get in there, give it a whirl?, which means you should try the car and see if it works.

You can also use the idiom when you try a new activity you have never done before.

I don't know if I'll like baseball, but I'll give it a whirl.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od JK vložený před 12 lety

give sth a whirl

Your car has broken down. You call someone to come and fix it. When they are done fixing your car, they might say „You wanna get in there, give it a whirl?, which means you should try the car and see if it works.

You can also use the idiom when you try a new activity you have never done before.

I don't know if I'll like baseball, but I'll give it a whirl.

Fakt se to spojení s whirl používá i pro jiné činnosti? U toho auta bych to pochopila tak, že mám ten motor „vytůrovat“… :-) Čili jinak řečeno „give it a try“… :-D Pěkné, zkusím si to zapamatovat…

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Lucka Skrčená vložený před 12 lety

Fakt se to spojení s whirl používá i pro jiné činnosti? U toho auta bych to pochopila tak, že mám ten motor „vytůrovat“… :-) Čili jinak řečeno „give it a try“… :-D Pěkné, zkusím si to zapamatovat…

Ohledně toho auta, je to kontext ze seriálu Breaking Bad (S05E05). Auto se mu opravdu rozbilo, dva chlápci mu ho pomáhali opravit a pak jeden řekl „You wanna get in there, give it a whirl?“, což jsem pochopil tak, jak píšete – „give it a try“ :)

to make a go of (something) – to produce good results, to succeed (especially with an experimental project)

leg it (informal, British English) TTT – to run away (in order to escape from sb)
We heard the cops coming, so we legged it.

Source: Inbetweeners S01E02

Alternative: take to your heels

get the wrong end of the stick (informal, British English) TTT – to understand something in the wrong way

A: I thought you liked me.
B: No, sorry. You've got the wrong end of the stick.

Source: Inbetweeners S02E04

have a downside – mít chybu (nevýhodu, trhlinu, mínus)

This plan has no downside. TTT

SRC: Miranda, S01E05

not one iota – a small amount (usually in negative sentences)

It made not one iota of sense. TTT
It doesn't bother me one iotaTTT

sell someone out – to betray someone

coast home – win easily

Some powerful hitting by Berdych in the fourth set ensured Murray didn't coast home.

Source

keep someone out of someone's hair

If you get someone out of your hair, you get them to stop bothering or annoying you. UsingEnglish.com

count your blessings – to think about the good things in your life, to realize your good luck.
The Free Dictionary

be hurting for words – to be having difficulties to express yourself

I present you with an example I took from and American talk show called The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson:

Craig Ferguson: “I was talking…eeeee­ehhhhhh”
Jeffrey Dean Morgan: “Did you have somewhere to go? It seemed like you were hurting for words.”

give a once-over – (rychle) omrknout, přelétnout pohledem

Octavian gave me a last once-over and hurried off the feast.

SRC idea: The Mark of Athena – R. Riordan

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.