Help for English

Let's share phrases, idioms, collocations we have come across ...

Labour the point – to try too hard to express an idea, feeling, or opinion, repeating it when this is not necessary

V češtině bychom to mohli vyjádřit jako “omílat něco pořád dokola”.

dos and don'ts – rules about what you must do and what you must not do in a particular situation

Asi něco, jako pravidla slušného (správného) chování.

Make do – To manage to get along with the means available.

Vystačit s tím, co je.

Burst someone's bubble – to destroy someone's illusion or delusion; to destroy someone's fantasy.

in the wake of something – after something; as a result of some event.

call dibs – expression used to claim rights/possesion on sth./sb.

(right) on cue – as if planned to happen exactly at that moment. Pro překlad do češtiny mě napadl výraz jako na zavolanou (právě vhod).

patronize something TTT
(formal) to be a regular customer of a shop/store, restaurant, etc
The club is patronized by students and locals alike.

It's not an idiom, but a new sense I have never come across before until now.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Karel vložený před 13 lety

The other side of the tracks. – a poor neighborhood in a town/city (AmE)

Being brought up in the other side of the tracks, I'll kick your ass without hesitating right here in front of everybody.

Similarly, “the south-side of town.” There is a belief (unsubstantiated) that the south-side of town is typically the poorer part of a town (or city, although ‘town’ is still used in the expression).

Well the south side of Chicago Is the baddest part of town And if you go down there You better just beware Of a man name of Leroy Brown

Can I get a doggy bag?

You're at a restaurant, and though you've finished eating, you still have a lot of food on your plate that you would like take home. By asking for a doggy bag, you're asking the server to package the remaining food for you. Originally, to bring any bones back for the dog, but now referring to the leftover food for human consumption 

run-of-the-mill (adj)
ordinary, with no special or interesting features

a run-of-the-mill job

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od JK vložený před 10 lety

run-of-the-mill (adj)
ordinary, with no special or interesting features

a run-of-the-mill job

Synonym: garden-variety. A fancy bicycle like that is begging to be stolen; I think I'm going to settle for one that's a bit more garden-variety.

Dating scene

I knew a guy who moved to Tennessee. And he was telling me that it was rated one of the best places to live in the US. Great health care, nature, good weather. So I did a little reading about it, and he was right. All those things were true. So he asked me, are you going to move here? And I said, no. It's great if you have a family or you're retired. But for me, there's no dating scene. I'm better off in the city. I won't be able to meet young single women in Tennessee. But Chicago is full of young single women! Whether it's a sports club, a bar, or even a church, my odds of finding a mate are much better. A friend of mine signed up for a class on making pottery. No one in that class was interested in pottery. They were interested in sex.

Spring chicken

Young and hip. “What are all these spring chickens doing in this bar? They must be lying about their age.”

“He might seem naive and innocent, but he's no spring chicken.”

a close shave
a situation where something unpleasant or dangerous nearly happened

Do češtiny bych to přeložil jako mít namále.

EDIT: oprava, namále se píše dohromady.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Josef vložený před 10 lety

a close shave

Já používám a close call…a tím jsem si Gradere uvědomil, že jsou to synonyma. 

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Josef vložený před 10 lety

a close shave

aneb “To bylo o chlup”

show/teach sb the ropes

to show someone how to do a job or activity: (Cambridge dictionaries)

I will show you the ropes – ukážu ti, jak na to.

Play it by ear.

1.To let things go as they may. TTT

2. To do something by feel and instinct rather than with a plan, to improvise. TTT

I rest my case.

used to say that you do not need to say any more about something because you think that you have proved your point

No prosím / No vždyť to říkám.

On this website you can find new English phrases on a daily basis. They are provided with short story or video as a mean of better explanation for you to remember it better. http://vypnisa.sk/…fraza-dna-3/

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.