Help for English

It would be/respect/throw away

Dobrý den,

chtěl bych ještě požádat o kontrolu správnosti zkušenější angličtináře.

1. “Anyway, if there had been a chance, a moment long enough for me to manage to tell you all, where it would be just you and me hanging out, I would have really sat down somewhere with you there at some point and told you and explained everything”.

Touto větou chci říci: “Každopádně, pokud by bývala byla šance, nějaká chvíle dostatečně dlouhá, abych ti to všechno stihl říct, kde bychom byli jen my dva, tak bych se s tebou v nějakou chvíli někde opravdu posadil, řekl ti to všechno a vysvětlil. Nejsem si úplně jistý, jestli jsem správně použil časy, především v té tučně zvýrazněné části. Jestli tam může být "where it would be just you and me…” nebo jestli by to mělo být nějak jinak formulované?

1. Pak jsem se chtěl ujistit, když chci říci, že něco respektuji, v tom smyslu, že se do něčeho nebudu plést, nebudu do něčeho strkat nos, lze použít slovo “Respect” – I respect that – Respektuji to? Trochu mě zmátla definice tohoto slova, jako slovesa v Cambridském slovníku: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/…lish/respect

respect verb [ T ] (ADMIRE) ​ B1 to feel or show admiration for someone or something that you believe has good ideas or qualities

Z toho mi tak trochu vyplývá, že toto použití je spíše, když něco nebo někoho obdivuji, což není to, co já chci vyjádřit :-)

Šlo by tedy slovo respect použít i do toho mého kontextu, aby to mělo správný význam?

1. Poslední fráze je “Throw away”. Když chci například vyjádřit, že někdo chce zahodit přátelství, nechce se s nikým už kamarádit, nechce s ním už nic mít. Šlo by použít třeba “Throw away one's friednship” – Zahodit něčí přátelství? Případně pokud toto není správně, jak jinak by se to dalo vyjádřit?

Děkuji moc za všechny komentáře a rady!

1. (i) If there had been a chance (…) where it had been just you and me … ok.

(ii) If there had been a chance (…) where it were just you and me … ok

(iii) If there had been a chance (…) where it was just you and me … ok informally

(iv) If there had been a chance where it would be … not acceptable to my ear, because there is a clash between the past unreal conditional (if there had been) and future unreal conditional (it would be).

(i) is the most formally “correct”, but the repetition of “had been” makes the sentence sound a little clumsy. (ii) uses the past subjunctive “were” and is formally correct; the subjunctive “were” reinforces the hypothetical sense, and avoids the repetition of “had been”. (iii) is the least formal of the three, but acceptable (in a non-formal register, or in informal dialogue) to my ear. In a literary text, an editor would probably change it to (i) or (ii).

Or use the “chance of [SUBJECT] [VERB]ing” construction: “Anyway, if there had been a chance of you and me (AE) hanging out /(BE) meeting, a moment long enough for me to manage to tell you all …"

2. Respect is fine in your context. Look further down the page you linked to:

to accept that something is right or important and not to attempt to change it or harm it

3. “Throw away one's/our/a friendship” is fine in your context – lots of examples on Google. Alternatives: abandon a friendship, give up a friendship (give a friendship up).

Great! Thank you so much for your perfect and extensive explanation. I appreciate that.

Thanks a lot!

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.