Help for English

Rozřazovací test / How are things with you

Dobrý den,

nevěděl by někdo, jak by se dalo anglicky vyjádřit “Rozřazovací test”? Když např. přijedou noví studenti na jazykovou školu a na začátku píší rozřazovací test, aby se zjistila jejich úroveň jazyka a na základě toho budou rozdělení do tříd, aby se zbytečně třeba neučili to, co už umí?

Pak jsem se ještě chtěl poradit ohledně fráze “How are things with you” Podle Cambridge slovníku to znamená to samé, jako když řeknu “How are you” jen s tím rozdílem, že “How are things with you” je neformální.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/…ngs-with-you?…

Chtěl jsem se ujistit, chápu to tedy správně, že tuto frázi “How are things with you” tedy asi nelze použít ve smyslu, kdy se někoho chci jen zeptat, jak to s ním vypadá, jaká je jeho situace apod? Prostě to samé, jako, když v češtině někomu řeknu, “tak, jak to s tebou vypadá

Díky moc

Někde používají “placement test”. Osobně bych řekl “(basic) proficiency test” nebo “assessment test”.

Slovníky uvádějí základní význam, ale většinou mimo kontext. Podle mého “how are things with you?” = jak to s tebou vypadá? Jak jsi na tom? (celkově, nejen zdravotně). Další možnost" how's life treating you?

Ok, thank you very much for your explanation, DesperateDan.

So I guess using the phrase should be fine then. You know I was racking my brain trying to figure out, whether I could use the phrase for asking someone what's their situation in general rather than asking how they are by which I mean, asking someone for example, how they are busy, what do their schedule look like, when they have some free time to find out for example, when we will be able to meet up or video chat or something along those lines. So, I guess it should be correct and natural to say to somebody: “So, when do you think we will be able to meet up? Let me know how things are with you” or another example, “I should be free all weekend, I don't have any plans, so we could potentially meet up” How are things with you? – what does your situation look like, how busy are you, what does your schedule look like

Thank you very much

Aha, I took your question to refer to an “opening gambit” (the start of a conversation) about how busy someone is, not in the sense of seeking a response to a suggestion. “So when do you think we will be able to meet up? Let me know how things are with you”. This sounds more like two separate and unrelated comments. “So when do you think we will be able to meet up? Let me know if that's possible/fe­asible/doable for you, let me know how that looks for you, let me know if that's an option for you. Let me know if you can fit that into your schedule."

The same applies to your second example.
“I should be free all weekend, I don't have any plans, so we could potentially meet up. How does that sound to you? Do you think you could fit that in? Is that an option for you?

Ok, thank you very much.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.