Help for English

Stažený tvar + not unless

Hezký den všem,
měl bych dva dotazy k tomuto videu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?…, resp. konkrétně k tomu popisku.

So how'd I end up in the middle of the road in this getup? Guess it all started a couple of weeks ago, and no, I'm not an actual superhero, not unless you count getting my kids out the door for school every morning.

1. to 'd předpokládám zkracuje DID? Ptám se, protože jsem se s tím nejspíš ještě nesetkal – je běžné takto zkracovat?
  2. význam je jasný, “pokud nepočítáte to, že vypravuju děti do školy…”. Ale proč je tam not unless? Měl jsem za to, že UNLESS samotné už obsahuje zápor.

2. Tady se ten zápor vyruší, dostaneme tedy jen když.
Významově je to stejné: pokud nepočítáme, jen když počítáme.

not unless = if only

1. How'd [= how did] in your context. In another context it could be a contraction for “how would”, as in “if I flew to Vienna, how'd [= how would] I get to Štrbské pleso?” It's a non-standard contraction, so it's formally incorrect, used mostly in AmE. I don't recommend anyone to use it actively in writing.
  2. Another option for “not unless” is simply “pokud ne”. The “not” is not necessary here, it just emphasises the negative aspect of the main clause.

I'm not an actual superhero, not unless you count getting my kids out the door for school every morning. = I'm not an actual superhero, unless you count getting my kids out the door for school every morning. The meaning is the same. Here's another example: Oni ti ty tabletky neprodají, pokud ti doktor nedal recept = they won't sell you these tablets, not unless you have a doctor's pres­cription = they won't sell you these tablets unless you have a doctor's pres­cription.

Díky moc za vysvětlení.

To NOT je jakoby zopakování záporu z první věty. Určitě to není třeba UNLESS you DON'T… apod.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.