Help for English

České úřady

Dobrý den, píši dnes jeden formální e-mail, ve kterém zmiňuji ‚české úřady‘. Přeložil bych to jako ‚Czech public authorities‘, ale nejsem si jistý zda-li před to dát člen, nebo to ponechat bez něj. Mluvím sice o jednom konkrétním administrativním systému, na druhou stranu mi to připadá jako poměrně široký pojem. Je správně tedy ‘the Czech public authorities‘ nebo ‘Czech public authorities‘. Děkuji, Armando

Uved'te, prosím, plnou větu a trochu kontextu. Pravděpodobná varianta bude „the Czech authorities“.

In accordance with the legislation of the Czech Republic, I shall submit several documents which proves that I study abroad to the Czech public authorities. (Dle zákonů České republiky musím odevzdat několik dokumentů českým úřadům, které prokazují, že studuji v zahraničí)

Ještě k jednomu členu – legislation nebo the legislation (legislativa v češtině).

V podstatě žádám svojí školu o vydání potvrzení, že na ní studuji, neboť české úřady to vyžadují kvůli daním etc.

Větší část textu: I am writing in connection with the recognition of a study abroad on the Czech public authorities. Recently, I have been informed by Czech public authorities that I shall report study abroad to them. In accordance with the legislation of the Czech Republic, I am required to submit to the public authorities several documents that proves that I study abroad . Thereby, I will obtain the status of a student in the Czech Republic, which is necessary for the Czech social security and the other public authorities. In order to conduct the recognition, the application of a student shall be assessed by the public authorities. In addition to the application, I shall submit several documents which I would like to ask you as the director of the school for. The required documents as the attachment to the application for the recognition are the following ones. (Pak ten text ještě pokračuje samozřejmě)

Stačí „the Czech authorities“ (bez slova „public“) nebo „the relevant Czech officials“.

Dane, děkuji moc. Ale jak se dá logicky odvodit, že by tam měl být určitý člen?

Zní normálně, “natural”, conduct the recognition? Jako uskutečnit nostrifikaci.

V předešlé odpovědi jsem kontroloval jedině použití výrazu „Czech authorities“. Ted' jsem si dovolil (nezlobte se) navrhnout variantu, která je o něco kratší a nezachází do podrobností, které nemusejí zahraniční školu zajímat.

(In the previous reply I only looked at the usage of „Czech authorities“. Now I've taken the liberty (I hope you don't mind) of suggesting a version which is a tad shorter and doesn't go into the kind of detail that the foreign school doesn't need to bother with.)

I am writing in connection with the need for my study abroad to be validated by the Czech authorities, who have recently notified me that it is a Czech legal requirement for me to register this study abroad with them by providing relevant documentary evidence for social security and other official Czech purposes, and thus formally recognise my status as a student. I therefore need to ask you if the school could please provide me with the following documents which the Czech authorities require me to submit with my application for student status validation with them. The documents are:

I hope that's helpful. 🙂

Uskutečnit nostrifikaci: Nejlepší výraz v daném kontextu je prostě validate, formally recognise, officially register.

Děkuji moc, Dane. Mohl bych se Vás prosím zeptat ještě na jedno užití členu (je to ve vláku ‘The technologies of future – the article‘)?

*ve vlákně

Technologies of the future

The techologies of the future

It's impossible to give advice about the use of articles in an isolated phrase out of context.

Basically I've watched a video about the usage of definite article with abstract nouns. In the video, there is said that an abstract noun takes the definite article when it is ‘qualified‘. The qualification of an abstract noun, according to the video, can be done in two ways:

1. Either by adding a defining relative clause or
  2. By adding of.

So for instance: The technologies of the future, the societies which promote technologie and so on.

It was just mentioned in the video without providing any context. The teacher in the video explained that we should use the definite article with any abstract noun only in those two cases, which I have already mentioned.

The Definite Article: When to use “the” with abstract nouns in English
(this is the name of the video)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.