Help for English

Ne/pocitatelnost

Ahoj, chtel jsem se zeptat. Cetl jsem si o filmu „Back to the Future“ – o klukovi, kterej cestuje casem (through time)coz chapu diky clanku tady je „time“ bez clenu. Proc je ale „the future“, vsude vidim „the past“ – je to prece nepocitatelny!!?
Diky moc za pripadne vysvetleni.
Martin

člen určítý nesouvisí s počitatelností. viz články o členech (stačí do vyhledávače zadat členy )

to bossmartyn: díky za tento dotaz. Ujasnila jsem si alespoň rozdíl mezi
IN FUTURE a IN THE FUTURE, což se mi bude určitě „do života“ někdy in the future hodit :-)

cituji:
adv in future
after this; from now on – Don't do that in future. příště

Don't do that in THE future…

Hi americanka. I have read this:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/future

Am I wrong?

And what about: Don't say that in future!

Don't say that in future – BrE
Don't say that in THE future – AmE

I am a little bit confused :-)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/…es/1103.html

Everybody seems to be right, but…

Nejspis je to o ty britsky vs. americky. Alespon vsechny odkazy na netu k tomu smeruji. Je to americkej film, takze je to jasny :-)
diky vsem!

I don't know – „in future“ sounds Czenglish to me. I would need to ask a British person…but after looking at some websites, I'm really quite unsure. It just sounds so wrong to my ears. I personally would stick to „in the future“; the use of „in future“ as an adverbial phrase seems to be quite limited.

oxford dictionary:

(…)
IDM
in future (BrE)
(NAmE in THE future)
from now on
please be more careful in future

Still sounds weird to me 8-) But I've put the question up on a forum for expats and will let you know…

Ok, I stand corrected. „In future“ is indeed BrE, and means „from now on“.

In future, don't torture the cat, he'll scratch you.

See – even we native speakers can learn something new :D

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.